The Covid-19 pandemic has drastically changed all of our lives, and for many of us that includes mourning the loss of someone that we know or care deeply about. We have created this page to help signpost you to resources and support that you may find useful on your journey and experience of grief and loss, whether this is as a result of Covid-19 or otherwise.
If you are in crisis or are struggling, please ring the Samaritans on 116 123 or text SHOUT to 85258. Both services are active 24/7, 365 days a year.
Specific Covid-19 Bereavement Information & Resources
Someone To Talk To
- Cruse Bereavement Care – national helpline offering emotional support. Mon-Fri 9.30-5pm. Open until 8pm on Tues, Weds, Thurs. 0808 808 1677
- NHS Bereavement Helpline – offering advice, guidance and practical support. Mon-Fri 8am-8pm. 0800 2600 400
- Sue Ryder – Up to six free online sessions of bereavement counselling.
- Grief Chat – offers a helpline and professional bereavement counselling (n.b there is a cost to these therapeutic services).
Local to Sheffield
- Listening Ear – telephone helpline providing support, advice and guidance to anyone over the age of 11 who is registered with a GP in South Yorkshire and is bereaved during the Covid-19 crisis. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm. 0800 048 5224. To find out more about Listening Ear you can watch this video about accessing the helpline and this video about being a helpline professional.
- Sheffield Cruse – 1-1 bereavement support. Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. 0114 249 3328
- The Ripple Effect (Sheffield Mind) – bereavement ‘navigation service’ designed to enable people to access emotional and practical support after the loss of a loved one.
Bereavement Support Groups
Please note that in person support groups will be reopening at their own pace dependent on user need and safety.
- Crystal Peaks bereavement support group: Every Friday 10am-12pm in Conference Room 3 at the Council and Library Building; 1-3 Peak Square, Crystal Peaks, Sheffield, S20 7PH: 07895 063 221
- TCF – Compassionate Friends: Currently accepting calls very day 10am – 4pm and 7pm – 10pm. 0345 123 2304, Support Groups in Dronfield & North Anston
- Bereavement Support – St Marie’s Cathedral: 0114 272 2522 [email protected]
- Bereavement Support Group: First Thursday 10am-13pm at St Aidan’s Church, 2 Manor Lane, Sheffield, S2 1UF: 0114 278 0707, [email protected]
Support for those with additional needs or autism
- Sands – Stillbirth and neonatal death charity
- Widowed and Young (WAY) – For those aged 50 or under when their partner died.
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide (SOBS)– a self-help organisation for those who are bereaved as a result of suicide.
- Amparo – providing emotional and practical telephone support for anyone affected by suicide. 0330 088 9255 [email protected]
- Hope – support group for people who have suffered trauma through fire and road traffic collisions. Peer support group and support telephone line.
- St Luke’s bereavement service – for family members of those who have been under care of St Luke’s Hospice.
- For bereavement support for children and young people or those affected by the death of a child or young person please visit our separate page for a list of support and resources available.